60 Vegetarian Capsules ( SKU: 9456, NPN: 80038284 )
- A multi-strain blend which approximates the normal composition of intestinal flora and ensures balance to the entire intestinal tract
- Provides 8 human origin strains, 3 dairy, and 1 vegetable origin strain
- Each strain has specific inhibitive functions against pathogenic and putrefactive microorganisms throughout the entire GI tract
- Each strain is resistant to gastric acidity as well as high-bile concentrations
- High potency with at least 12 billion cfu per capsule at expiry date (guaranteed minimum 18 billion active cells at manufacturing date)
- Includes prebiotic FOS (fructooligosaccharides) inulin to promote probiotic growth
The microbial ecosystem in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract has emerged as a “virtual organ system”, with growing recognition of its diverse significance in both health maintenance and disease prevention.1 GI microbiota play a critical role in maintaining homeostasis of the innate and cell-mediated immune system and enhance intestinal barrier function through a number of mechanisms, including toxin metabolism, tight junction protein phosphorylation and inflammation reduction.2 Research has clearly shown the importance of intestinal bacteria not just for maintaining optimal gastro-intestinal health, but also for chronic and systemic health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, and other inflammatory or autoimmune diseases.3-6
Probiotics have multifactorial benefits, by modulating gut immune responses and intestinal barrier functions in a strain and dose-dependent manner. Additionally, mixtures of probiotics appear to have greater efficacy than single strains, perhaps because of synergistic activity or because individuals react differently to various strains.7-10
Probiotic-Pro12 contains 12 bacterial species, each chosen because they can withstand both gastric acid and high-bile concentrations, and for their proven benefits in clinical research, mediated via individual mechanisms of action. The high-quality lactic acid bacteria requires considerable care at all times, therefore over 20 stringent quality control measures are implemented to ensure strain consistency and viability right up until finished product.
|Each Capsule Contains:|
|12 billion active cells* of the following specially cultured strains of probiotics:|
|Total bacterial culture||12 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus casei (HA-108) (whole cell) (human)||25%||3.00 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus rhamnosus (HA-111) (whole cell) (human)||12%||1.44 billion cfu|
|Bifidobacterium breve (HA-129) (whole cell) (human)||10%||1.20 billion cfu|
|Bifidobacterium longum subsp.?longum (HA-135) (whole cell) (human)||10%||1.20 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus (HA-122) (whole cell) (human)||10%||1.20 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus plantarum (HA-119) (whole cell) (plant)||10%||1.20 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus rhamnosus (HA-114) (whole cell) (human)||10%||1.20 billion cfu|
|Bifidobacterium bifidum (HA-132) (whole cell) (human)||5%||0.60 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus fermentum (HA-179) (whole cell) (dairy)||5%||0.60 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus salivarius (HA-118) (whole cell) (human)||1%||0.12 billion cfu|
|Lactobacillus paracasei (HA-196) (whole cell) (dairy)||1%||0.12 billion cfu|
|Bifidobacterium animalis subsp.?lactis (HA-194) (whole cell) (dairy)||1%||0.12 billion cfu|
|cfu: colony forming units
*Guaranteed minimum 12 billion active cells per capsule at expiry date.
Guaranteed minimum 18 billion active cells per capsule at manufacture date.
Maltodextrin, vegetarian capsule (carbohydrate gum [cellulose], purified water), fructooligosaccharides (naturally occurring complex fructose molecules derived from beets), inulin (chicory), vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant), silica, ascorbic acid.
Contains no artificial colours, preservatives, or sweeteners; no wheat, gluten, corn, egg, fish, shellfish, salt, tree nuts, or GMOs. Suitable for vegetarians.
Recommended Adult Dose: 1–3 capsules per day on a full stomach or as directed by a health care practitioner. Take at least 2–3 hours before or after antibiotics.
Do not use if you have an immune-compromised condition (e.g., AIDS, lymphoma, patients undergoing long-term corticosteroid treatment).
No known drug interactions exist. Separation by at least 2 hours from antibiotic use may improve the efficacy of Probiotic-Pro12.
- Evans, J.M., Morris, L.S., Marchesi, J.R. (2013). The gut microbiome: the role of a virtual organ in the endocrinology of the host. J Endocrinol, 218(3), R37-47.
- Ng, S.C., Hart, A.L., Kamm, M.A. (2009). Mechanisms of action of probiotics: recent advances. Inflamm Bowel Dis, 15(2), 300-10.
- Ley, R.E., Turnbaugh, P.J., Klein, S., et al. (2006). Microbial ecology: human gut microbes associated with obesity. Nature, 444(7122), 1022-3.
- Othman, M., Agüero, R., Lin, H.C. (2008). Alterations in intestinal microbial flora and human disease. Curr Opin Gastroenterol, 24(1), 11-6.
- Sanz, Y., Moya-Pérez, A. (2014). Microbiota, inflammation and obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol, 817, 291-317.
- Vieira, S.M., Pagovich, O.E., Kriegel, M.A. (2014). Diet, microbiota and autoimmune diseases. Lupus, 23(6), 518-26.
- Williams, E.A., Stimpson, J., Wang, D., et al. (2009). Clinical trial: a multistrain probiotic reparation significantly reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 29(1), 97-103.
- Khalesi, S., Sun, J., Buys, N., Jayasinghe, R. (2014). Effect of Probiotics on Blood Pressure: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Controlled Trials. Hypertension, 64(4), 897-903.
- Chapman, C.M., Gibson, G.R., Rowland, I. (2012). In vitro evaluation of single- and multi-strain probiotics: Inter-species inhibition between probiotic strains, and inhibition of pathogens. Anaerobe, 18(4), 405-13.
- Timmerman, H.M., Koning. C.J., Mulder, L., et al. (2004). Monostrain, multistrain and multispecies probiotics–A comparison of functionality and efficacy. Int J Food Microbiol, 96(3), 219-33.