150 g Granules ( SKU: 9205, NPN: 80021422 )
- Regulates after meal blood glucose levels
- Increases insulin sensitivity for less fat storage
- High viscosity fibre complex
- Sprinkle onto any moist food, low calorie beverage or meal replacement
- Mixes easily in liquids, does not clump
- Unflavoured, does not alter the taste of foods
- Convenient and economical
- Suitable for vegetarians/vegans
PGX (PolyGlycopleX) granules are an unsweetened highly viscous combination of well purified water-soluble polysaccharides derived from konjac root, sodium alginate, and xantham gum. Viscous fibres have been shown to reduce postprandial glucose concentrations and lower total and LDL-cholesterol, primarily by forming a gel matrix which slows gastric emptying.1,2 These viscous granules also trap ingested carbohydrates and lipids inside the gel matrix, decreasing the transport as well as the uptake of glucose and cholesterol at absorptive surfaces.
Clinical trials have shown that in addition to the benefits of glucose and lipid reduction, highly viscous fibres were found to lower insulin secretion and C-peptide in response to carbohydrate meals, and also improve glucose tolerance.3,4 Viscous fibres effectively reduce the glycemic index of foods consumed simultaneously, by preventing the postprandial spikes in blood glucose concentration.5,6 Fibre viscosity has also been associated with increased satiety and reduced appetite; in a randomized trial, PGX reduced hunger and prospective consumption when combined with a low calorie diet, and in an earlier trial enhanced weight loss and reduced percent body fat when used in concert with lifestyle changes.7,8 PGX Daily Granules allow for easy dosing, with 5 g of PGX per scoop, and are unflavoured to allow mixing with a variety of beverages and foods.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (5 g)
Servings per Container: 30
Each Level Scoop (5 g) Contains:
PGX® (PolyGlycopleX®) (Amorphophallus konjac, Sodium Alginate, Xanthan Gum)............................5 g
Highly Purified Fibre Complex Manufactured Using the Proprietary EnviroSimplex® Process.
Contains no artificial colours, preservatives, or sweeteners; no dairy, starch, sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, corn, egg, fish, shellfish, animal products, tree nuts, or GMOs. Suitable for vegetarians/vegans. Sealed for your protection. Do not use if seal is broken. For freshness, store in a cool, dry place.
Stir 1 level scoop (5 g) 2–3 times per day into 375–500 ml of cold water or juice. Drink additional water (375–500 ml) after ingesting PGX. Begin with « a scoop and gradually increase over several days as tolerated. Up to 1 scoop 3 times per day may be required in some cases, or take as directed by a health care practitioner. Use consistently with or without meals or with healthy snacks to obtain the desired results.
Serving Option: PGX Daily Granules are unflavoured and can also be sprinkled onto any moist food, yogurt, fruit salad, oatmeal, soup, low-calorie beverage or meal replacement.
Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are under 18 years of age, are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have any health concerns. Take other medications one hour prior to or two hours after taking PGX. If your goal is to achieve weight loss, or if you are diabetic or on cholesterol lowering medications, consult a qualified health care practitioner prior to use. Keep out of reach of children.
A reduction in serum glucose concentrations by PGX may require a lowering of the dosage of any antidiabetic medications, and serum glucose should be monitored closely to prevent hypoglycemia.9 Oral medications may need to be taken one hour prior or two hours after PGX, to prevent a slowing down in their absorption. Similarly, fat-soluble vitamins should be taken separately.10
- Reimer RA, Yamaguchi H, et al. Changes in visceral adiposity and serum cholesterol with a novel viscous polysaccharide in Japanese adults with abdominal obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Sep;21(9):E379-87.
- Jenkins AL, Kacinik V, et al. Effect of adding the novel fiber, PGX®, to commonly consumed foods on glycemic response, glycemic index and GRIP: a simple and effective strategy for reducing post prandial blood glucose levels--a randomized, controlled trial. Nutr J. 2010 Nov 22;9:58. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-9-58.
- Flammang AM, Kendall DM, et al. Effect of a viscous fiber bar on postprandial glycemia in subjects with type 2 diabetes. J Am Coll Nutr. 2006 Oct;25(5):409-14.
- Reichert RG, Lyon MR, Kacinik V, et al. Decreasing cardiovascular risk factors in obese individuals using a combination of PGX® meal replacements and PGX® granules in a 12-week clinical weight modification program. J Complement Integr Med. 10(1):1-8, 2013. doi: 10.1515/jcim-2013-0003.
- Brand-Miller JC, Atkinson FS, et al. Effects of added PGX®, a novel functional fibre, on the glycaemic index of starchy foods. Br J Nutr. 2012 Jul;108(2):245-8. doi: 10.1017/S0007114511005447.
- Brand-Miller JC, Atkinson FS, et al. Effects of PGX, a novel functional fibre, on acute and delayed postprandial glycaemia. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010 Dec;64(12):1488-93. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2010.199.
- Kacinik V, Lyon M, et al. Effect of PGX, a novel functional fibre supplement, on subjective ratings of appetite in overweight and obese women consuming a 3-day structured, low-calorie diet. Nutr Diabetes. 2011 Dec 12;1:e22. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2011.18.
- Lyon M, Reichert R. The effect of a novel polysaccharide blend (PGX® granules) on short-term weight loss and other laboratory parameters in overweight and obese adults: an observational retrospective clinical analysis. Altern Med Rev. 15(1): 68-75, 2010.
- Chen HL, Sheu WH, et al. Konjac supplement alleviated hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic subjects--a randomized double-blind trial. J Am Coll Nutr. 2003 Feb;22(1):36-42.
- Doi K, Matsuura M, et al. Influence of dietary fiber (konjac mannan) on absorption of vitamin B12 and vitamin E. Tohoku J Exp Med. 1983 Dec;141 Suppl:677-81.