60 Vegetarian Capsules ( SKU: 9241, NPN: 80044491 )
- CoQ10 has a beneficial role in the treatment of various chronic disorders (CHF, Parkinson’s, migraine) that are highlighted by an impairment in mitochondrial bioenergetics and/or increased oxidative stress11
- R-alpha-lipoic acid may have better bioavailability than the racemic mixture in an older population group12
- In vivo studies have noted that combinations of ALC and R-alpha-lipoic acid act synergistically in preventing mitochondrial decay13
- Standardized Ginkgo biloba extract promotes cognitive functioning, neuropsychiatric symptoms and functional abilities in those with Vascular and Alzheimer’s dementia14
- Resveratrol, the potent antioxidant found Japanese Knotweed, improves muscle mitochondrial respiration in obese humans15
- Grape seed proanthocyanidins administration stimulates mitochondrial function in the skeletal muscle of obese Zucker rats16
- Suitable for vegetarians/vegans
Oxidative damage to the mitochondria is a major factor in cellular aging along with neurological decay.1 While lifestyle interventions, such as calorie restriction, help improve mitochondrial function in young non-obese adults, certain supplements such as L-carnitine are also of therapeutic benefit.2 However, the salt of L-carnitine, called acetyl‑L‑carnitine (ALC), is the preferred form for conditions of disease and aging as it has better absorption and readily crosses the blood brain barrier.3 ALC has been shown to exert a significant function in the disorders of aging including fatigue hypertension, insulin resistance, diabetic neuropathy and dementia.4,5,6,7 ALC may work synergistically in combination with alpha-lipoic acid not only to reduce hypertension but reduce the pain associated with a herniated disc.8 Recently discovered agents such as Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) play a key in mitochondrial genesis via cell signalling (PGC-1 alpha).9 This latter ability to stimulate mitochondrial production ability may in part explain the conclusion of a recent open clinical trial. After taking 20 mg of PQQ daily for eight weeks, 20 healthy and women (average age 38 years) not only had improved vigor but also had a significant reduction in symptoms of fatigue, tension, depression, anger and confusion.10 While both PQQ and ALC are key components in Mito AMP, other natural compounds in the formula enhance its efficacy.
Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule
Servings per Container: 60
Each Vegetarian Capsule Contains:
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (N-acetyl-L-carnitine hydrochloride).....................................................300 mg
Coenzyme Q10 (microorganism).................................................................................................60 mg
BioPQQ® Pyrroloquinoline Quinone........................................................................................3.33 mg
R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid......................................................................................................................50 mg
Ginkgo Biloba Extract (Ginkgo biloba, leaf) (24% flavonoid glycosides, 6% terpene lactones)..80 mg
Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vinifera, seed) (80% oligomeric proanthocyanidins)............30 mg
Japanese Knotweed Extract (Fallopia japonica, root) (20% trans-resveratrol).......66.67 mg
Vegetarian capsule (carbohydrate gum [cellulose], purified water), silica, vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant), microcrystalline cellulose.
Contains no artificial colours, preservatives, or sweeteners; no dairy, starch, sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, corn, egg, fish, shellfish, animal products, salt, tree nuts, or GMOs. Suitable for vegetarians/vegans. Sealed for your protection. Do not use if seal is broken. For freshness, store in a cool, dry place.
1 capsule 3 times per day with food or as directed by a health care practitioner. Consult a health care practitioner for use beyond 4 weeks.
Consult a health care practitioner prior to use in the following cases: if you have diabetes, a seizure disorder, or liver or kidney disease, if you have been instructed to follow a low protein diet or if you are taking medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, or seizures. Do not use if you are taking health products that affect blood coagulation (e.g., blood thinners, clotting factor replacements, acetylsalicylic acid, ibuprofen, fish oils, vitamin E) as this may increase the risk of spontaneous bleeding. Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. May cause mild gastrointestinal symptoms (transient nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea). Feelings of sleeplessness and overstimulation may occur; discontinue use if such feelings persist or worsen. Keep out of reach of children.
ALC may help with opiod withdrawal.17 Ginkgo biloba extract (GBE) significantly influenced talinolol (beta 1 adrenoceptor blocker) maximum plasma concentration, likely a result of p-glycoprotein activity.18 GBE induces CYP3A metabolism, and reduces midazolam and tolbutamide concentrations.19,20
- Ames BN, Liu J. Delaying the mitochondrial decay of aging with acetylcarnitine. Annals NY Acad Sci. 2004;1033:108-16.
- Civitarese AE, Carling S, Heilbronn LK, Hulver MH, Ukropcova B, Deutsch WA, Smith SR, Ravussin E; CALERIE Pennington Team. Calorie restriction increases muscle mitochondrial biogenesis in healthy humans. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e76.
- Kido Y, et al. Functional relevance of carnitine transporter OCTN2 to brain distribution of L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine across the blood brain barrier. J. Neurochem. 2001;79: 959-969.
- Ruggenenti P, Cattaneo D, Loriga G, Ledda F, Motterlini N, Gherardi G, Orisio S, Remuzzi G. Ameliorating hypertension and insulin resistance in subjects at increased cardiovascular risk: effects of acetyl-L-carnitine therapy. Hypertension. 2009;54:567-74.
- Malaguarnera M, Gargante MP, Cristaldi E, Colonna V, Messano M, Koverech A, Neri S, Vacante M, Cammalleri L, Motta M. Acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) treatment in elderly patients with fatigue. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2008;46:181-90.
- Thal LJ, Carta A, Clarke WR, Ferris SH, Friedland RP, Petersen RC, Pettegrew JW, Pfeiffer E, Raskind MA, Sano M, Tuszynski MH, Woolson RF. A 1-year multicenter placebo-controlled study of acetyl-L-carnitine in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology. 1996;47:705-11.
- De Grandis D, Minardi C. Acetyl-L-carnitine (levacecarnine) in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy. A long-term, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Drugs R D. 2002;3:223-31.
- Memeo A, Loiero M. Thioctic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine in the treatment of sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc: a randomized, double-blind, comparative study. Clin Drug Investig. 2008;28:495-500.
- Rucker R, Chowanadisai W, Nakano M. Potential physiological importance of pyrroloquinoline quinone. Altern Med Rev. 2009;14:268-77.
- Nakano M, Yamamoto T, et al. Effects of Oral Supplementation with Pyrroloquinoline Quinone on Stress, Fatigue, and Sleep. Functional Foods in Health and Disease. 2012; 2:307-324.
- Littarru GP, Tiano L. Clinical aspects of coenzyme Q10: an update. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2005;8:641-6.
- Keith DJ, Butler JA, Bemer B, Dixon B, Johnson S, Garrard M, Sudakin DL, Christensen JM, Pereira C, Hagen TM. Age and gender dependent bioavailability of R- and R, S-lipoic acid: A pilot study. Pharmacol Res. 2012;66:199-206.
- Long J, Gao F, Tong L, Cotman CW, Ames BN, Liu J. Mitochondrial decay in the brains of old rats: ameliorating effect of alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine. Neurochem Res. 2009;34:755-63.
- Ihl R, Tribanek M, Bachinskaya N; GOTADAY Study Group. Efficacy and tolerability of a once daily formulation of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761® in Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia: results from a randomised controlled trial. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2012;45:41-6.
- Witte AV, Kerti L, Margulies DS, Flöel A. Effects of resveratrol on memory performance, hippocampal functional connectivity, and glucose metabolism in healthy older adults. J Neurosci. 2014 Jun 4;34(23):7862-70.
- Pajuelo D, Fernández-Iglesias A, Díaz S, Quesada H, Arola-Arnal A, Bladé C, Salvadó J, Arola L. Improvement of mitochondrial function in muscle of genetically obese rats after chronic supplementation with proanthocyanidins. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59:8491-8.
- Janiri L, Martinotti G, Tonioni F, Ghelardini C, Nicolai R, Galeotti N, Mosconi L, Calvani M, Bartolini A, Iannoni E. Acetyl-L-carnitine in the management of pain during methadone withdrawal syndrome. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2009;32:35-40.
- Fan L, Tao GY, Wang G, Chen Y, Zhang W, He YJ, Li Q, Lei HP, Jiang F, Hu DL, Huang YF, Zhou HH. Effects of Ginkgo biloba extract ingestion on the pharmacokinetics of talinolol in healthy Chinese volunteers. Ann Pharmacother. 2009;43:944-9.
- Robertson SM, Davey RT, Voell J, Formentini E, Alfaro RM, Penzak SR. Effect of Ginkgo biloba extract on lopinavir, midazolam and fexofenadine pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008;24:591-9.
- Uchida S, Yamada H, Li XD, Maruyama S, Ohmori Y, Oki T, Watanabe H, Umegaki K, Ohashi K, Yamada S. Effects of Ginkgo biloba extract on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of tolbutamide and midazolam in healthy volunteers. J Clin Pharmacol. 2006;46:1290-8.