90 Enteric Coated Softgels ( SKU: 9287U )
- Helps support a restful, relaxed state necessary to maintain normal sleep patterns*
- Helps maintain sleep quality and quantity*
- Helps maintain healthy rising times without grogginess*
- Offers Suntheanine®, produced via a patented enzymatic process resulting in pure L-isomer theanine
- Enteric coated softgels
L-theanine, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), and melatonin may help support relaxation and maintain sleep quality and quantity.* L-theanine is an amino acid found almost exclusively in tea,1 and may help support the central nervous system function.* L-theanine may also help maintain levels of neurotransmitters dopamine,2 gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA),3,4 serotonin,5,6 norepinephrine,6 and glutamate7,8 already within the normal range.* Balanced neurotransmitters help support alpha brain wave activity, indicative of a state of wakeful relaxation, which may help maintain performance under stress, support learning and concentration, and maintain a calm mood.*1,9
5-HTP is the intermediary between L-tryptophan and serotonin, a key neurotransmitter associated with sleep, mood, and calm.*10,11,12 5-HTP bypasses the rate-limiting enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, which normally limits the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin.13
Melatonin is also closely related and is formed by converting serotonin in the pineal gland when in low light conditions. Melatonin may help support biological rhythms, including the circadian rhythm, helping maintain healthy sleep cycles without impairing daytime psychomotor performance*14,15,16
Contains no artificial colors, preservatives, or sweeteners; no dairy, starch, sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, corn, egg, fish, shellfish, salt, or GMOs.
2 softgels per day, 30-45 minutes before bedtime, or as directed by a health care professional.
Discontinue use if you show signs of weakness, oral ulcers, or abdominal pain accompanied by severe muscle pain, or if you experience skin changes. Do not use if you are taking blood pressure, immunosuppressive, sedative/hypnotic medication, or if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have scleroderma. Some people may experience drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery for 5 hours after using this product. Exercise caution if involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
L-theanine may alter blood pressure levels in some individuals, and concomitant use with antihypertensive drugs may potentiate their effect.17
- Juneja, L.R., Chu, D.C., Okubo, T., et al. (1999). Trends in Food Science & Technology, 10(2), 199-204.
- Yokogoshi, H., Kobayashi, M., Mochizuki, M., et al. (1998). Neurochem Res, 23(5), 667-73.
- Kimura, R., & Murata, T. (1971). Chem Pharm Bull, (Tokyo), 19(6), 1257-61.
- Alternative Medicine Review. (2007). Altern Med Rev, 12(3), 274-9.
- Yokogoshi, H., Mochizuki, M., Saitoh, K. (1998). Biosci Biotechnol Biochem, 62(4), 816-7.
- Kimura, R., & Murata, T. (1986). Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo), 34(7), 3053-7.
- Kakuda T. (2002). Biol Pharm Bull, 25(12), 1513-8.
- Kimura, K., Ozeki, M., Juneja, L.R., et al. (2007). Biol Psychol, 74(1), 39-45.
- Nobre, A.C, Rao, A., Owen, G.N. (2008). Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 17 Suppl, 167-8.
- Birdsall, T.C. (1998). Altern Med Rev, 3(4), 271-80.
- Wyatt, R.J., Zarcone, V., Engelman, K., et al. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol, 30(6), 505-9.
- Soulairac, A., & Lambinet, H. (1998). Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax, 77(34A), 19-23.
- Shaw, K., Turner, J., Del Mar, C. (2002). Cochrane Database Syst Rev, (1), CD003198.
- Kunz, D., Mahlberg, R., Muller, C., et al. (2004). J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89(1), 128-34.
- Wade, A.G., Ford, I., Crawford, G., et al. (2007). Curr Med Res Opin, 23(10), 2597-605.
- Wade, A.G., Ford, I., Crawford, G., et al. (2010). BMC Med, 8, 51.
- Yokogoshi, H., & Kobayashi, M. (1998). Life Sci, 62(12), 1065-8.